Sunday, February 15, 2015

Hamill Chews The Fat On 'Schmoes Know' Podcast



Will the Jedi Master switch sides in the new trilogy?  He stopped by to talk about his appearance in the Kingsman movie.  Some hints about Episode VII seem to building...

Listen to what he said about his original thoughts on ROTJ,
"Well part of the answer to that question...Involves what I thought was the script to my final chapter. Which really surprised me. Another one for us indicated that Luke would be terribly conflicted and possibly giving in to his darker impulses to achieve short term goals. I had no question that he would redeem himself at the very end. But I thought, as dangerous as Empire was, that George would go in the direction of me betraying someone, and even letting them be sacrificed before realizing the error of my ways, Ebenezer Scrooge style. I was completely misled. I was wrong in that assumption. It took me a very long time to reconcile my opinions about the material, and how it should be dealt with, and what the reality was. It wasn't an easy journey for me."

Doesn't sound like he was happy about how George ended the original trilogy...  Then he goes on to talk about the difference between Lucas and J.J.,

"That is interesting. That is something I do recognize. That this is the first of any of the titles that will be helmed by the fan generation, Now, Lawrence Kasdan is along for the ride, but in terms of the director and the co-writer, its the first from the fan generation. I hate to caricature George as someone who is broadly not an actor's director. It's more that he is instinctive, so when he casts someone in a role, that actor or actress is so close to what he wants, that there is not a lot to talk about. I remember, I went out for American Graffiti. I never met George, I met the casting director. And, later when I saw the film, I said, 'The closest I could have come to being in that picture is Ronnie Howard's part.' Even though I would have loved to be any of the many characters in that movie. Harrison is in it. He made me laugh out loud the first time I ever saw him on screen. I realized I was just wrong. Ron Howard was just so much more authentically what he was looking for in that role. So it's unfair to paint him in the broad strokes of 'Oh, he's not an actor's director.' He wants to see you do it, and then talk about it later. You'll ask him a question, 'Is Luke getting jealous of this guy hitting on the Princess all the time? He's getting under my skin...' And he's like, 'Ah, nah...Just do it, we'll talk about it later.' Then, of course, we don't talk about it later. In contrast, J.J. Abrams is much more upbeat. He is loquacious, he is engaged. He loves the process so much. George is so much more focused and serious, and looking at it from a different perspective.


Read the full interview here.

Can't wait for Episode VII!!  How about you?


Get You Favorite Funkos Here


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment